Reproduction of original watercolor by R.Lowry painted in 1990. The subject is the fieldstone chapel at the Immaculate Conception Convent in Oldenburg, Indiana. Incorporated in 1869, Oldenburg is called the "Village of Spires" because of its churches and religious educational institutions. At the north end of Pearl St., is the Immaculate Conception Convent Cemetery and shrine. The convent cemetery is easily distinguished by its rows of simple white crosses and a fieldstone chapel. The Chapel of the Immaculate Conception dates from 1891. Nearby the Holy Family Parish Cemetery and the parish cemetery is noted for its unusual iron grave markers.
oldenburgindianachapelimmaculate conception conventwatercolorscenicfarmtrees